Important pet safety info from our friends at Bil-Jac


Chances are, you’ve already caught your precious baby sticking her nose somewhere she shouldn’t. Puppies are mischievous by nature, and sometimes their curiosity can be dangerous to their health and wellbeing. As a pet parent, you want to make sure you’re raising a healthy and happy puppy, so we’ve put together a list of items that your puppy should never consume. And, just as you would do with a child in the house, you should keep these items out of the reach of your puppy—and never give them to him purposely.

1. Alcohol

Alcohol and dogs don’t mix. Especially alcohol and puppies. Alcohol has the same effect on your puppy as it would on a child. Be mindful of setting down alcoholic beverages within reach of your curious friend. If your pup does get a gulp of something, immediately seek medical help.

2. Chocolate, Coffee, or Other Caffeine

While you might think it’s cute for your pup to finish off your coffee, caffeine can actually cause serious heart and nervous system problems. Take special precautions around holidays, as people tend to indulge in more chocolates and other caffeinated products. Make sure puppy doesn’t indulge, too, by keeping caffeinated foods out of his reach.

3. Mushrooms

The wrong kind of mushroom can put cause your pup to suffer organ damage or even death, as some varieties are toxic to our canine buddies. If you want to give your dog mushrooms as a treat, NEVER GIVE WILD MUSHROOMS.  Instead, use store-bought varieties like white button mushrooms. To be safe, though, you may want to forego the mushroom treat altogether.

4. Grapes and Raisins

It’s easy to want to reward your puppy with something you’re snacking on, especially something as easy to toss as grapes and raisins. However, these two foods can cause kidney failure in pups, so stick to dog treats instead.

5. Nuts

Although nuts are a great human snack, they should never be given to puppies. This is especially true for Macadamia nuts. Even peanut butter should be avoided, not matter how much your little one might love it. That’s because most peanut butter contains harmful fats and loads of sugar—a combo that can cause everything from heart problems to diabetes to joint disease.

6. Onions, Garlic, and Chives

These spicy foods can actually cause anemia (iron-poor blood) in puppies. Be careful leaving foods containing these vegetables and herbs within the reach of your precious pup’s paws. If he does consume of any of these food, call your veterinarian and induce vomiting.

7. Raw or Undercooked Meat and Eggs

While properly cooked eggs and meat aren’t dangerous to your pup, undercooked meats and eggs are. Much like humans, your puppy is susceptible to Salmonella and E. coli, so if you do happen to sneak them a table scrap, make sure it’s cooked properly.

8. Salt and Salty Snacks

While a single french fry won’t hurt your pup, a large quantity of salt will. Too much salt can cause your pup to become excessively thirsty and to urinate more, which can lead to sodium ion poisoning. Be mindful of your little one’s heart, too—pups predisposed to heart trouble should avoid salt altogether.

9. Xylitol

It’s easy to lose track of what your puppy is consuming when out and about in your neighborhood. However, if your pup is constantly picking up gum on walks, you might have some trouble on your hands. Xylitol (found in gum, candy, toothpaste, etc.) can cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) and even liver failure.

While we try hard to protect our pets from harm, occasionally your pup will come in contact with bad foods. Before calling your vet or closest emergency veterinarian, be sure to get the remnants of the food away from your pup.

Credit: Bil-Jac.

Speak Your Mind